Monday, October 10, 2011

Bright Young Things

David Batchelor @ Saatchi Gallery
This week it is all about contemporary art here in London. The art-smart set lands in Regent's Park from 13-16 October for Frieze Art Fair. Sotheby's and Christie's host contemporary themed sales this week as well.
Today we received special preview tours of both sales. In my opinion, the lots that Christie's has on offer are more impressive in terms of variety and quality of works. However, Sotheby's does have a Fausto Melotti sculpture as part of their Italian 20th Century collection sale. He is a personal favorite of mine!
My "contemporary week" actually started last week with First Thursday in East London. A few classmates and I met up at Whitechapel Gallery to start our evening walking tour of galleries in the east end. Passing, but not stopping, the delicious Indian Restaurants of Brick Lane, we made our way to Redchurch Street winding our way up to Hoxton Square where we capped the night with a few drinks. Not bad for a first "first".
Friday night was spent wandering Victoria & Albert Museum and enjoying the free concert by tango revolutionaries Fugata Quintet. The nuevo tango of Astor Piazzolla filled The Gamble Room, the elegant original refreshment room at the museum. It was spectacular!
As it happens, I have been spending a great deal of time at the V&A. Between research visits to the National Art Library and special viewings in the Prints & Drawings Room, I have been making my way through the galleries one by one. This is not a museum you can see in a day, or three even!
Saturday hiatus...working on research for my next essay...
On Sunday the weather continued to amaze! I set out for the Art London (another art fair) at the Royal Hospital Chelsea followed by a swing through Saatchi Gallery and the "The Shape of Things to Come: New Sculpture" exhibition. New-ish works from 20 sculptors. I'm afraid that the show made me mourn the loss of traditional technique- something I have been conflicted about since my visit a few weeks ago to Gagosian Gallery to see Mike Kelley's "Kandor/Exploded Fortress of Solitude" installations. I never realized just how ubiquitous polyurethane foam has become in contemporary art.
Now, I must rest up for the week (and finish my presentation for class tomorrow). I will be sure to post images from Frieze- our class has tours of the fair on Thursday and Friday. So be sure to check back!

No comments:

Post a Comment